India’s Diaspora Tops in World Market
Immigration of people from underdeveloped countries to developed countries is a continuous economic process that people undertake in search of employment and a better standard of living. According to the latest figure released by the specialised agency on international migration, at least 244 million are residing in a country other than where they were born.
It is a matter of proud that India has emerged as a world leader in immigration with 16 million people from India living outside the country. This information is based on survey report which has been prepared for the year 2015 by UN Department of Economic of Social Affairs (DESA) on international migration trends.
The achievement speaks of India’s hold in term of a world leader about the human resource to other world countries both in the technical and non-technical sphere. As we know, well-managed migration brings important benefits to countries of origin and destination both, besides migrants and their families. The important findings of the year 2015 UN survey report are as follows:
- The number of international migrants reached 244 million in 2015 for the whole world which is over 41% in contrast to 2000.
- Out of 244 million, nearly two third of international migrants live in Europe (76 million) or Asia (75 million).
- India tops the world in term of migration followed by Mexico and Russia. In 2015, 16 million people from India were living outside their country followed by Mexico with over 12 million residing outside their country. Other countries with large Diaspora included are Russia, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Ukraine.
- The world’s Diasporas include a large number of 20 million refugees.
- Two-thirds of all international migrants were living in only 20 countries with the US topping the list where 19 per cent of all migrants lived. Other countries that followed included Germany, Russia, Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom, and UAE.