Toronto police investigating threat against North York high school

John Polanyi Collegiate Institute will remain open Monday despite a threat issued against the North York high school over the holidays, Toronto police said.

Students received the threat via text message from an unknown person last week, police spokesperson Katrina Arrogante told the Star.

Police wouldn’t reveal what the nature of the threat was. However the Toronto District School Board said police believe the school near Allen Rd. and Lawrence Ave. W. is safe and no hold-and-secure or lockdown process is necessary.

“We will follow our usual practices that ensure the safety of students and staff each and every day,” read a letter from the TDSB to parents, guardians and students. “As an added measure, there will be added TDSB security as well as a police presence around the school on Monday.”

The letter added: “While the comment made may be nothing more than an off-hand remark, we must take it seriously. Be assured that we will always take every precaution to ensure the safety of students and staff.”

According to the TDSB, some people at the school were made aware of the threat after it was posted on social media. Police were asking that it no longer be spread online while they continue to investigate.

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.