New Management Ordered at Niagara Falls, Ontario Long-Term Care Home
October 28, 2020
TORONTO — The Ministry of Long-Term Care has issued a Mandatory Management Order requiring the Millennium Trail Manor long-term care home in Niagara Falls, Ontario to retain the Niagara Health System to temporarily manage the home. This order was issued to the home as it has an increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases among residents and staff. Enhanced management is necessary to return the home to normal operations and protect residents.
“We will continue to prioritize the safety of our long-term care home residents who are most vulnerable,” said Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-Term Care. “We are grateful to the Niagara Health System and Millennium Trail Manor for working together to stabilize the home and stop the COVID-19 outbreak.”
During these unprecedented times, the province is using every tool available to keep Ontarians safe. Management orders are one example of the measures Ontario has utilized on behalf of long-term care residents and staff. Ongoing measures include emergency funding, regulatory flexibility, staffing support, expanded testing, along with direction and guidance on outbreak management, and infection prevention and control.
The Ministry of Long-Term Care will continue to make decisions based on case-by-case assessments, and in partnership with the local hospitals, as to which long-term care homes may require additional interim hospital support.
- On October 27, 2020, the Ministry of Long-Term Care issued a Mandatory Management Order appointing Niagara Health System to temporarily manage Millennium Trail Manor.
- Niagara Health System will manage Millennium Trail Manor for 90 days from the date that the Mandatory Management Order was issued.
- 955464 Ontario Limited owns and operates seven long-term care homes in Ontario—five in the Niagara Region, one in Burlington, and one in Englehart.
- To date, the Ministry of Long-Term Care has previously issued four Mandatory Management Orders and facilitated 11 Voluntary Management Contracts between Ontario hospitals and long-term care homes.
- The Ontario government is working arm-in-arm with the federal government and the Canadian Red Cross to deliver temporary assistance to certain high-priority long-term care homes as part of ongoing efforts to keep residents, staff and caregivers safe.