Hydrochloric Acid leaked in an Automotive Plant; 23 Employees admitted
Per the health agency's confirmation, all the patients were assessed and are expected to be discharged by day end.
After an accidental release of five liters of hydrochloric acid, 23 people were taken to a hospital in St. Catherine’s. The incident took place around 10:30 a.m. at the THK Rhythm Automotive Plant in the Louth Street and Ridley Road area.
The officers are at the scene and stated that around twenty other people were exposed to the acid and decontamination showers were used. People who got exposed to the acid were taken to the hospital by bus.
Fire Chief of St. Catherines, Dave Upper told the source that a contractor was working and accidentally hit a valve which led to a release of hydrochloric acid. Three people were nearby and managed to close the valve, however, they were exposed to the fumes.
He said, “The chemical typically provides burns to respiratory and skin if you are exposed heavily. We don’t believe they had that heavy saturation.”
Per the health agency’s confirmation, all the patients were assessed and are expected to be discharged by day end.