Premier Ford says he is “confident” there was nothing wrong with his government’s handling of Greenbelt land
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Friday that he will take any potential probe by Royal Canadian Mounted police into the province’s Greenbelt controversy extremely seriously, but is confident that there has been no wrongdoing on the part of his government.
Speaking at a media conference inside Queen’s Park in Toronto, Ford said Ontario government will take RCMP’s potential probing extremely seriously, as he has “zero tolerance” for any wrongdoings.
Earlier this week, the RCMP confirmed that it has received a request from the Ontario Provincial Police to takeover the Greenbelt investigation. The OPP said they received several questions about the handling of the investigation, and they are referring the case to the RCMP to avoid any perceived conflicts of interest.
“If they decide to investigate — they haven’t decided yet — but if they do, I take it very serious. Extremely serious. And I’ll have zero tolerance if there was any nonsense going on,” Ford said.
The investigation request follows the resignation of Ryan Amato, the chief of staff for Ontario’s housing minister, who was said to be in contact with developers who owned land in the protected Greenbelt area, and was said to have been influenced in the decisions regarding the land swap.
Ford maintained that he never spoke to Amato about or directed him to select any properties to remove from the Greenbelt.